Wednesday 20 March 2013

To cliché or not to cliché



When creating an RPG game set in a classic swords-and-sorcery style of world, there’s a distinct problem that arises – that of originality.

On the one hand, I want to be as original as possible when it comes to creating characters, monsters, worlds, and adventures for the game.  I would love to just let my imagination go wild and create the weirdest stuff ever conceived without powerful hallucinogens.  The other side of the issue is one of familiarity; players need a certain amount of commonly known characters and themes to be able to quickly feel at home with the world.  If the world I create is too unusual, too bizarre, then players will take much longer to adapt to the settings and concepts of the world.  I would be risking alienating people who really just want to see a wizard throw a fireball at a goblin.  Unusual and unique is great from an artistic point of view, but at the same time I want players to feel like they know the world and how it works without a lot of unnecessary exposition and hand-holding.

Ultimately, I’ll be trying for a mixture of the two; a selection of the normal and the trans-mundane.  I have a strong desire to put unique and unusual characters into the game, and do not want to limit myself to just the normal fantasy tropes.  Yet I do understand that those tropes go a long way to making a swords-and-sorcery RPG popular and likeable.  Clichés are important.

No comments:

Post a Comment